Introduced.Livable Communities Act of 2009 - Establishes in the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) an Office of Sustainable Housing and Communities (OSHC). Establishes in the executive branch an independent Interagency Council on Sustainable Communities. Requires the OSHC Director to establish a program to make comprehensive planning grants and sustainability challenge grants to eligible entities (partnerships between a consortium of units of general local government and an eligible partner, which may be a metropolitan planning organization, a rural planning organization, a regional council, or a state). Requires the use of a comprehensive planning grant to carry out a project to:(1) coordinate land use, housing, transportation, and infrastructure planning processes across jurisdictions and agencies;
(2) identify potential regional partnerships for developing and implementing a comprehensive regional plan;
(3) conduct or update housing, infrastructure, transportation, energy, and environmental assessments to determine regional needs and promote sustainable development;
(4) develop or update a comprehensive regional plan or goals and strategies to implement an existing comprehensive regional plan; and
(5) implement local zoning and other code changes necessary to implement a comprehensive regional plan and promote sustainable development.Requires the use of a sustainability challenge grant to:(1) promote integrated transportation, housing, energy, and economic development activities carried out across policy and governmental jurisdictions;
(2) promote sustainable and location-efficient development; and
(3) implement projects identified in a comprehensive regional plan. Directs the OSHC Director to study and report to specified congressional committees on incentives for encouraging lenders to make, and homebuyers and homeowners to participate in, energy-efficient mortgages and location-efficient mortgages.
Comment: Dodd's bill is a huge assault on the remaining sovereignty of the states. Word must get out to every state legislator so opposition from the states can begin. If passed, this needs to be nullified straight away.
Dodd's bill furthers the UN Agenda 21; more information about Agenda 21 can be found here.